From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 06:22:28
1 On 05/21/2010 10:38 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Freitag 21 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >>
4 >> You don't mind the lag (there is lag, no way around it, you just don't
5 >> mind because you're not using software that needs good latency, like
6 >> software synthesizers) but I do. So stop trying to convince me that it
7 >> works for me too. To use your own words, please don't speak about
8 >> something you don't know anything about. As I see it, if I have to use
9 >> ALSA's OSS-compatibility to get acceptable results, why not use the real
10 >> thing instead?
11 >
12 > h,mm, lets see - because oss4 is broken by design?
13
14 No it's not broken. It's awesome:
15
16 http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2009/06/state-of-sound-in-linux-not-so-sorry.html
19 > Also, what 'latency' are you talking about?
20
21 Latency is the delay between giving the order to play a sound and the
22 sound actually being played. It's usually around 30ms here with
23 ALSA/dmix, and around 10ms with OSS/vmix. It's not funny trying to play
24 something in a software synth with a keyboard when having a 30ms latency.