From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:39:19
1 On Freitag 21 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 05/21/2010 09:26 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 > > On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
4 wrote:
5 > >> Then why does dmix lag?
6 > >> Then why does dmix lag?
7 > >
8 > > I don't know; I don't care. I don't use dmix, I use PulseAudio, and it
9 > > takes care of everything in user space and I don't have to worry about
10 > > anything.
11 > >
12 > >> I've tried it 6 days ago. Ubuntu 10.04. It's still a laggy, buggy,
13 > >> pile of ****. First thing I did was to disable it.
14 > >
15 > > It doesn't lag here. It's rock solid stable. In all my computers, each
16 > > one with completely different sound hardware. And I'm just using the
17 > > ebuilds from Gentoo; I didn't configure *anything*. I didn't have to.
18 > >
19 > > Maybe Ubuntu has something wrong: Lennart complained that they "didn't
20 > > get it":
21 > >
22 > > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html
23 > >
24 > >> Yes, you and many people also find it acceptable to run their games with
25 > >> 10FPS, or to take their systems 1 minute to boot, etc.
26 > >
27 > > My games doesn't run at 10FPS, my laptop boot in seconds (and usually
28 > > it's always suspended), my desktop and media center (specially the
29 > > latter) boot very quickly also. Please don't speak about something you
30 > > don't know anything about.
31 > >
32 > >> I am not one of those people. I don't like it when the sound lags. You
33 > >> may claim that it doesn't bother you. But you can't claim that it
34 > >> doesn't happen.
35 > >
36 > > I can claim it: it doesn't happen *to me*. It works beautifully. I'm
37 > > using Gentoo, with the following versions:
38 > >
39 > > media-sound/pulseaudio-0.9.21.1
40 > > sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.32.9
41 > >
42 > > My sound card is :
43 > >
44 > > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
45 > > Controller (rev 03)
46 > >
47 > > (I'm on my laptop; don't have the specs of my desktop or media center,
48 > > but the versions at least should be the same).
49 > >
50 > > I simply don't have any sound lags.
51 > >
52 > >> That doesn't mean ALSA is better.
53 > >
54 > > Again, I trust more the technical judgement from the kernel
55 > > developers. No offense.
56 > >
57 > >> Then why don't they fix it? It's still crap after all this time.
58 > >
59 > > It's not in my case. Not at all. But (as I said in my last mail), this
60 > > is Open Source; if you think it's crap, you can try to fix it.
61 > >
62 > > All I'm saying is that PulseAudio is a great sound architecture for
63 > > Linux. It works great for me, in several hardware configurations; and
64 > > in particular in my Media Center, which is my principal medium to
65 > > listen to music. And I trust the judgement of the ones that decided to
66 > > use ALSA+PulseAudio.
67 > >
68 > > Regards.
69 >
70 > All of this boils down to what you should have said in the beginning:
71 >
72 > It works for *you*.
73 >
74 > You don't mind the lag (there is lag, no way around it, you just don't
75 > mind because you're not using software that needs good latency, like
76 > software synthesizers) but I do. So stop trying to convince me that it
77 > works for me too. To use your own words, please don't speak about
78 > something you don't know anything about. As I see it, if I have to use
79 > ALSA's OSS-compatibility to get acceptable results, why not use the real
80 > thing instead?
81
82 h,mm, lets see - because oss4 is broken by design? Also, what 'latency' are
83 you talking about?