From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:30:33
1 On 05/21/2010 09:26 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> Then why does dmix lag?
4 >> Then why does dmix lag?
5 >
6 > I don't know; I don't care. I don't use dmix, I use PulseAudio, and it
7 > takes care of everything in user space and I don't have to worry about
8 > anything.
9 >
10 >> I've tried it 6 days ago. Ubuntu 10.04. It's still a laggy, buggy, pile of
11 >> ****. First thing I did was to disable it.
12 >
13 > It doesn't lag here. It's rock solid stable. In all my computers, each
14 > one with completely different sound hardware. And I'm just using the
15 > ebuilds from Gentoo; I didn't configure *anything*. I didn't have to.
16 >
17 > Maybe Ubuntu has something wrong: Lennart complained that they "didn't get it":
18 >
19 > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html
20 >
21 >> Yes, you and many people also find it acceptable to run their games with
22 >> 10FPS, or to take their systems 1 minute to boot, etc.
23 >
24 > My games doesn't run at 10FPS, my laptop boot in seconds (and usually
25 > it's always suspended), my desktop and media center (specially the
26 > latter) boot very quickly also. Please don't speak about something you
27 > don't know anything about.
28 >
29 >> I am not one of those people. I don't like it when the sound lags. You may
30 >> claim that it doesn't bother you. But you can't claim that it doesn't
31 >> happen.
32 >
33 > I can claim it: it doesn't happen *to me*. It works beautifully. I'm
34 > using Gentoo, with the following versions:
35 >
36 > media-sound/pulseaudio-0.9.21.1
37 > sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.32.9
38 >
39 > My sound card is :
40 >
41 > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
42 > Controller (rev 03)
43 >
44 > (I'm on my laptop; don't have the specs of my desktop or media center,
45 > but the versions at least should be the same).
46 >
47 > I simply don't have any sound lags.
48 >
49 >> That doesn't mean ALSA is better.
50 >
51 > Again, I trust more the technical judgement from the kernel
52 > developers. No offense.
53 >
54 >> Then why don't they fix it? It's still crap after all this time.
55 >
56 > It's not in my case. Not at all. But (as I said in my last mail), this
57 > is Open Source; if you think it's crap, you can try to fix it.
58 >
59 > All I'm saying is that PulseAudio is a great sound architecture for
60 > Linux. It works great for me, in several hardware configurations; and
61 > in particular in my Media Center, which is my principal medium to
62 > listen to music. And I trust the judgement of the ones that decided to
63 > use ALSA+PulseAudio.
64 >
65 > Regards.
66
67 All of this boils down to what you should have said in the beginning:
68
69 It works for *you*.
70
71 You don't mind the lag (there is lag, no way around it, you just don't
72 mind because you're not using software that needs good latency, like
73 software synthesizers) but I do. So stop trying to convince me that it
74 works for me too. To use your own words, please don't speak about
75 something you don't know anything about. As I see it, if I have to use
76 ALSA's OSS-compatibility to get acceptable results, why not use the real
77 thing instead?