From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 13:26:45
1 On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Then why does dmix lag?
3 > Then why does dmix lag?
4
5 I don't know; I don't care. I don't use dmix, I use PulseAudio, and it
6 takes care of everything in user space and I don't have to worry about
7 anything.
8
9 > I've tried it 6 days ago.  Ubuntu 10.04.  It's still a laggy, buggy, pile of
10 > ****.  First thing I did was to disable it.
11
12 It doesn't lag here. It's rock solid stable. In all my computers, each
13 one with completely different sound hardware. And I'm just using the
14 ebuilds from Gentoo; I didn't configure *anything*. I didn't have to.
15
16 Maybe Ubuntu has something wrong: Lennart complained that they "didn't get it":
17
18 http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html
19
20 > Yes, you and many people also find it acceptable to run their games with
21 > 10FPS, or to take their systems 1 minute to boot, etc.
22
23 My games doesn't run at 10FPS, my laptop boot in seconds (and usually
24 it's always suspended), my desktop and media center (specially the
25 latter) boot very quickly also. Please don't speak about something you
26 don't know anything about.
27
28 > I am not one of those people.  I don't like it when the sound lags.  You may
29 > claim that it doesn't bother you.  But you can't claim that it doesn't
30 > happen.
31
32 I can claim it: it doesn't happen *to me*. It works beautifully. I'm
33 using Gentoo, with the following versions:
34
35 media-sound/pulseaudio-0.9.21.1
36 sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.32.9
37
38 My sound card is :
39
40 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
41 Controller (rev 03)
42
43 (I'm on my laptop; don't have the specs of my desktop or media center,
44 but the versions at least should be the same).
45
46 I simply don't have any sound lags.
47
48 > That doesn't mean ALSA is better.
49
50 Again, I trust more the technical judgement from the kernel
51 developers. No offense.
52
53 > Then why don't they fix it?  It's still crap after all this time.
54
55 It's not in my case. Not at all. But (as I said in my last mail), this
56 is Open Source; if you think it's crap, you can try to fix it.
57
58 All I'm saying is that PulseAudio is a great sound architecture for
59 Linux. It works great for me, in several hardware configurations; and
60 in particular in my Media Center, which is my principal medium to
61 listen to music. And I trust the judgement of the ones that decided to
62 use ALSA+PulseAudio.
63
64 Regards.
65 --