From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:03:40
1 On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:56:12 +0100
2 Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 23 December 2006 19:45, Dale wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > I would like to backup some stuff and can't quite find a program to
9 > > use. I'm looking for something that can backup to CD or DVD and can
10 > > span them over more than one CD if needed. Some of what I have will
11 > > require several CDs. It would be nice if it would tar it or zip it
12 > > but it is not required. I searched using equery and emerge -s but I
13 > > can't seem to find much. Oh, GUI would be nice too.
14 > >
15 > > Is there anything out there that would do this?
16 >
17 > I've never used it myself, but I read an article somewhere about it
18 > and seems that mondorescue can do that:
19 >
20 > http://www.mondorescue.org/about.shtml
21 >
22 > However, I'm not sure about its portage status: it seems that all the
23 > versions are masked (for x86 at least). The relevant entry in
24 > package.mask says
25 >
26 > "has security issues and will be removed from portage
27 > due to upstream behaviour, see bug #106497"
28 >
29 > but that comment is rather old (more than one year) and it's still in
30 > portage. Furthermore, the mondorescue home page shows many
31 > gentoo-related downloads.
32 >
33 > Maybe there's someone else using it that hopefully can give you more
34 > detailed information.
35
36 I've heard good things about the package, installed it yesterday, and
37 will soon give it a test. In my case, I'm interested in creating a
38 bootable CD so that I can have a functioning system able to restore my
39 system from an external hard drive :->
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list