From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 03:58:57
1 David Relson wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:56:12 +0100
3 > Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
6 >> On Saturday 23 December 2006 19:45, Dale wrote:
9 >>> Hi,
10 >>>
11 >>> I would like to backup some stuff and can't quite find a program to
12 >>> use. I'm looking for something that can backup to CD or DVD and can
13 >>> span them over more than one CD if needed. Some of what I have will
14 >>> require several CDs. It would be nice if it would tar it or zip it
15 >>> but it is not required. I searched using equery and emerge -s but I
16 >>> can't seem to find much. Oh, GUI would be nice too.
17 >>>
18 >>> Is there anything out there that would do this?
19 >>>
20 >> I've never used it myself, but I read an article somewhere about it
21 >> and seems that mondorescue can do that:
22 >>
23 >> http://www.mondorescue.org/about.shtml
24 >>
25 >> However, I'm not sure about its portage status: it seems that all the
26 >> versions are masked (for x86 at least). The relevant entry in
27 >> package.mask says
28 >>
29 >> "has security issues and will be removed from portage
30 >> due to upstream behaviour, see bug #106497"
31 >>
32 >> but that comment is rather old (more than one year) and it's still in
33 >> portage. Furthermore, the mondorescue home page shows many
34 >> gentoo-related downloads.
35 >>
36 >> Maybe there's someone else using it that hopefully can give you more
37 >> detailed information.
40 > I've heard good things about the package, installed it yesterday, and
41 > will soon give it a test. In my case, I'm interested in creating a
42 > bootable CD so that I can have a functioning system able to restore my
43 > system from an external hard drive :->
44 >
45 Speaking of booting, it would be nice if the first CD was bootable and
46 could be restored that way. I only have one CD drive at the moment so
47 something to boot from would be nice.
48
49 I'll check into that though. I have heard of it too. It just didn't
50 show up in my search.
51
52 Thanks
53