From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DRM error: couldn't read SADs
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 00:57:50
1 On Sunday, 11 February 2018 05:41:28 GMT 80x24 wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 12:47 AM,
3 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > [drm:dce_v11_0_afmt_setmode] *ERROR* Couldn't read SADs: 0
5 > > [...]
6 > > traps: plugin-containe[6833] general protection ip:7f0a2e1711b1
7 > > sp:7fff6f64dc30 error:0 in ld-2.25.so[7f0a2e15c000+23000]
8 > >
9 > > What is a SAD (other than a seasonal affective disorder)? That library
10 > > comes from glibc, of which I've had 5 versions or revisions in that time
11 > /**
12 > * drm_edid_to_sad - extracts SADs from EDID
13 > * @edid: EDID to parse
14 > * @sads: pointer that will be set to the extracted SADs
15 > *
16 > * Looks for CEA EDID block and extracts SADs (Short Audio Descriptors)
17 > fr$
18 > *
19 > * Note: The returned pointer needs to be freed using kfree().
20 > *
21 > * Return: The number of found SADs or negative number on error.
22 > */
23 >
24 > Considering the term ``EDID'' and some audio related words, I think
25 > it's reading some info from your monitor.
26
27 Hmm. Interesting. Looks like I'll have to revise my screen setup. It's a
28 Samsung LED device with HDMI input. This box outputs HDMI too, but the other
29 boxes I use it on output DVI, so by piecemeal development I've ended up with
30 a four-port DVI switch, all connected with adapter cables.
31
32 It seems likely that EDID is getting lost, and I may now also have a reason
33 for the washed-out appearance of the screen. Modern websites with their pale
34 colours are hard to read. Even the green of KMail's quoted text is hard.
35
36 The other boxes I mentioned can also output VGA, and the screen can accept
37 VGA too and switch between inputs. So I just need a two-port VGA switch and
38 some cables. I've not long since thrown out all the old VGA stuff - damn! I
39 knew I should never throw anything away.
40
41 Thanks for your help.
44 Regards,
45 Peter.