From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADSUP] libreoffice versus bison-2.5
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 17:44:25
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 16:38 on Sunday 22 May 2011, Indi did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:10:01AM +0200, walt wrote:
5 > > On 05/20/2011 08:24 PM, Indi wrote:
6 > > > On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:50:01AM +0200, walt wrote:
7 > > >> For you users of unstable gentoo: the recent update of 'icu' broke
8 > > >> dozens of packages (as it always does) including libreoffice.
9 > > >>
10 > > >> The problem is that libreoffice fails to build if you have bison-2.5
11 > > >
12 > > > I have bison-2.5, but am using libreoffice-bin which seems fine.
13 > >
14 > > Yes, that would be expected because bison is needed only at compile time,
15 > > not at run time.
16 > >
17 > > I would be using libreoffice-bin too, except for a ridiculous change made
18 > > about a year ago in the way openoffice charts are scaled on the y-axis.
19 > >
20 > > I complained bitterly on the openoffice 'chart' mail list, only to
21 > > discover that openoffice changed its perfectly good scaling algorithm to
22 > > ape a change made in M$ Office!
23 > >
24 > > Nobody at openoffice.org would consider reverting that ridiculous mee-too
25 > > change, so I've been editing the open(libre)office source code to remove
26 > > it myself before compiling it. I was very disappointed to find a major
27 > > open- source project following M$ around like a hungry puppy :(
28 >
29 > It's unfortunate that we don't have small, fast, light, standalone
30 > programs to deal with the formats of word, excel, powerpoint, etc but
31 > if we did odds are most people would shun them for a big, bloaty
32 > office suite anyway. Personally, I'd love it if I could open and edit
33 > those office formats in vim...
36 What makes you think they don't *already* exist?
37
38 * app-office/libreoffice-bin-3.3.2
39 Total files : 8138
40 Total size : 498.24 MiB
41
42 * app-office/koffice-libs-2.3.3
43 Total files : 697
44 Total size : 19.45 MiB
45 * app-office/koffice-data-2.3.3
46 Total files : 214
47 Total size : 608.63 KiB
48 * app-office/karbon-2.3.3
49 Total files : 160
50 Total size : 3 MiB
51 * app-office/kexi-2.3.3
52 Total files : 337
53 Total size : 8.17 MiB
54 * app-office/kpresenter-2.3.3
55 Total files : 188
56 Total size : 9.28 MiB
57 * app-office/krita-2.3.3
58 Total files : 783
59 Total size : 26.10 MiB
60 * app-office/kspread-2.3.3
61 Total files : 337
62 Total size : 11.62 MiB
63 * app-office/kword-2.3.3-r1
64 Total files : 215
65 Total size : 7.82 MiB
66
67 Small, fast, light, standalone: yeah, they are all there.
68
69 Editing them in something vim-alike is highly unlikely to be useful - compare
70 antiword. Office suites are gui programs and the gui layout is as important
71 (if not more so) than the content. And I haven't even touched on graphics
72 elements yet.
73
74 So you may be able to modify the content but probably not the layout. Have a
75 look inside OOo source code sometimes for a look at what it takes to calculate
76 something as "simple" as where on the page some text goes.
80 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com