From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADSUP] libreoffice versus bison-2.5
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 00:19:39
1 On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 19:41 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:38 on Sunday 22 May 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:10:01AM +0200, walt wrote:
6 > > > On 05/20/2011 08:24 PM, Indi wrote:
7 > > > > On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:50:01AM +0200, walt wrote:
8 > > > >> For you users of unstable gentoo: the recent update of 'icu' broke
9 > > > >> dozens of packages (as it always does) including libreoffice.
10 > > > >>
11 > > > >> The problem is that libreoffice fails to build if you have bison-2.5
12 > > > >
13 > > > > I have bison-2.5, but am using libreoffice-bin which seems fine.
14 > > >
15 > > > Yes, that would be expected because bison is needed only at compile time,
16 > > > not at run time.
17 > > >
18 > > > I would be using libreoffice-bin too, except for a ridiculous change made
19 > > > about a year ago in the way openoffice charts are scaled on the y-axis.
20 > > >
21 > > > I complained bitterly on the openoffice 'chart' mail list, only to
22 > > > discover that openoffice changed its perfectly good scaling algorithm to
23 > > > ape a change made in M$ Office!
24 > > >
25 > > > Nobody at openoffice.org would consider reverting that ridiculous mee-too
26 > > > change, so I've been editing the open(libre)office source code to remove
27 > > > it myself before compiling it. I was very disappointed to find a major
28 > > > open- source project following M$ around like a hungry puppy :(
29 > >
30 > > It's unfortunate that we don't have small, fast, light, standalone
31 > > programs to deal with the formats of word, excel, powerpoint, etc but
32 > > if we did odds are most people would shun them for a big, bloaty
33 > > office suite anyway. Personally, I'd love it if I could open and edit
34 > > those office formats in vim...
37 > What makes you think they don't *already* exist?
38 >
39 > * app-office/libreoffice-bin-3.3.2
40 > Total files : 8138
41 > Total size : 498.24 MiB
42 >
43 > * app-office/koffice-libs-2.3.3
44 > Total files : 697
45 > Total size : 19.45 MiB
46 > * app-office/koffice-data-2.3.3
47 > Total files : 214
48 > Total size : 608.63 KiB
49 > * app-office/karbon-2.3.3
50 > Total files : 160
51 > Total size : 3 MiB
52 > * app-office/kexi-2.3.3
53 > Total files : 337
54 > Total size : 8.17 MiB
55 > * app-office/kpresenter-2.3.3
56 > Total files : 188
57 > Total size : 9.28 MiB
58 > * app-office/krita-2.3.3
59 > Total files : 783
60 > Total size : 26.10 MiB
61 > * app-office/kspread-2.3.3
62 > Total files : 337
63 > Total size : 11.62 MiB
64 > * app-office/kword-2.3.3-r1
65 > Total files : 215
66 > Total size : 7.82 MiB
67 >
68 > Small, fast, light, standalone: yeah, they are all there.
69 >
70 > Editing them in something vim-alike is highly unlikely to be useful - compare
71 > antiword. Office suites are gui programs and the gui layout is as important
72 > (if not more so) than the content. And I haven't even touched on graphics
73 > elements yet.
74 >
75 > So you may be able to modify the content but probably not the layout. Have a
76 > look inside OOo source code sometimes for a look at what it takes to calculate
77 > something as "simple" as where on the page some text goes.
80 Do any of them actually work acceptably in terms of compatibility with
81 MSword though? - having a good, lite suit available for the "quick" jobs
82 would be nice.
83
84 The OO/LibreOffice suits are almost compatible, the others barely if at
85 all. Even simple documents fox abiword for instance, and anything
86 complex is hopeless.
87
88 And unfortunately, working in an MS centric organisation means close to
89 100% compatibility is demanded by the other end, especially on documents
90 being passed back and forward.
91
92 BillK