From: YoYo siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xmonad, beagle-search, and mime types
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:05:54
1 On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 05:33:35PM +0100, Damian wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 03:45:14PM +0100, Damian wrote:
4 > >> So I tried to see how xdg-open works, but the man page didn't give me
5 > >> any useful information. The related command, xdg-mime, doesn't work as
6 > >> I expected.
7 > >
8 > > I asked a similar question a week or so back.
9 > I searched in my mails but I couldn't find it. Sorry, I probably
10 > didn't enter a relevant search string.
11 >
12 > >> But xdg-open (and therefore beagle-search) still refuses to open jpeg
13 > >> images with geeqie.
14 > >>
15 > >> Any ideas?
16 > >
17 > > xdg-open is just a shell script. If you are interested, take a look at
18 > >  less `which xdg-open`
19 > > and you will be enlightened as to why it is a complete piece of crap
20 > > unless you are using KDE, GNOME, or XFCE. (Hint, notice how nowhere in
21 > > the script does it read whatever you modified with xdg-mime.)
22 > >
23 > > A possible way to work around it (depends on your application, which,
24 > > in your case, is beagle, which I am not familiar with) is to go into
25 > > the offending application that is calling xdg-open and see if you can
26 > > configure MIME types in there yourself. The application that made me
27 > > look this up, Jabref, does allow that configuration. Your mileage can
28 > > of course vary.
29 > Thanks Willie for your answer.
30 >
31 > Sadly beagle-search doesn't offer any option. The developers must use
32 > only gnome.
33 >
34 > I guess I will have so find another beagle front end, or choose a
35 > different desktop search engine.
36
37 xdg-open tries to determine the desktop enviroment you are running and
38 uses its way to open files...
39 If you are in a kde session, it will just run kfmclient XXX (kde way to
40 open files in their application), for gnome it will use gnome-open or
41 something...
42
43 So even if you are not logged in a "full" gnome or kde session, but have
44 some of its packages installed, you can "trick" xdg-open to use that
45 enviroment
46 for kde just export KDE_FULL_SESSION=true,
47 for gnome GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=something
48
49 so you can run beagle-search with
50 GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=something beagle-search
51
52 you have to set which applications to use in corresponding config
53 (for kde, just run konqueror/dolphin and right click a file, don't know
54 for gnome)
55
56 for kde, you need the package kde-base/kfmclient, which should depend
57 juast on kdelibs, for gnome-open you need gnome-base/libgnome, which
58 shouldn't have much dependences that you don't have allready if you have
59 some gtk app..
60
61 btw, gnome-open/kfcmclient will open files in any available program that
62 correctly registers its mime-types, not only in kde/gnome apps..., so
63 you really need only kfmclient/libnome to use it...
66 one last remark, if set KDE_FULL_SESSION/GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID for
67 xdg-open and it starts a gnome/kde app, that app might think that there
68 are some desktop specific things running, that are not, though I haven't
69 seen any real problems with it...
70 You might however just edit the "detectDE" function in xdg-open to
71 always behave like gnome/kde without settings the variables...
72
73 yoyo
76 PS the idea of xdg-open using a browser, when it cannont detect which DE
77 are you running, is that a browser usually knows how to open which
78 files... and you should have your preffered browser set in $BROWSER...