From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: change and improvement
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 13:53:43
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 07 Oct 2011 08:25:36 Dale wrote:
3 >> Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>> On one hand, you can configure the locations of things like
5 >>> %PROGRAMFILES% and %SYSTEMROOT%. On the other hand, you can mount a
6 >>> volume wherever you like.
7 >>>
8 >>> I used this to use the same .libpurple directory on a machine
9 >>> dual-booted between WinXP 32-bit and WinVista 64-bit. A data volume
10 >>> was mounted at D:\Data, and I had NTFS junctions pointing my
11 >>> .libpurple on both boots at a directory on that volume.
12 >> Hmmmm, this is interesting. My brother has filled up his hard drive and
13 >> I been planning on reinstalling to a larger drive. Maybe I need to
14 >> check into this more. He uses XP and I really hate to install windoze.
15 >> Since he had to spend $8,000.00 on a new mower, his new rig went to
16 >> second place in the budget. This could be the place for the next couple
17 >> years. Uhh, he mows grass for a living. Anyway, putting Documents on
18 >> its own drive would save me some grief.
19 > You will get some space back if you move all the backup files created with
20 > MSWindows updates out of C:\ (but not the index which is needed to be able to
21 > update it properly). If space is running out fast, then you may have a
22 > corrupt page file. Delete it and move it to another drive/partition.
23 >
24 > Finally, clear all cruft in /temp directory (somewhere under local settings)
25 > for each user.
26 >
27 > If you have another drive, move all his data out of C:\ then defrag and
28 > shrink the partition a bit, create new partition(s) and install Linux! ;-)
29
30 Well, I don't know much about windoze. He currently has a 40Gb drive
31 that only has about 2Gbs left. I need to google for a howto or
32 something. I got a 80Gb drive that I wish I could scoot it over onto.
33
34 He does want Linux tho. We were planning to build a new rig like mine
35 but he had to buy a new mower. He mows grass for a living and the new
36 mower was over $8,000.00. The new rig is on the back burner now. He
37 has a prebuilt rig right now, Gateway I think. I would be scared to
38 compile Gentoo on that stock heat sink. It is a single core ~1.8Ghz
39 with about 768Mbs of ram. It is maxed out ram wise and the CPU won't
40 take much improvement either. It would take me days to install even if
41 it had a nice heat sink on the CPU. I was thinking Mandrake, bunto,
42 slack or something. I been using Gentoo so long, I don't even know what
43 else is out there anymore. lol
44
45 See the problem? Some of it me. lol
46