From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: change and improvement
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 07:05:45
1 On Friday 07 Oct 2011 08:25:36 Dale wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3
4 > > On one hand, you can configure the locations of things like
5 > > %PROGRAMFILES% and %SYSTEMROOT%. On the other hand, you can mount a
6 > > volume wherever you like.
7 > >
8 > > I used this to use the same .libpurple directory on a machine
9 > > dual-booted between WinXP 32-bit and WinVista 64-bit. A data volume
10 > > was mounted at D:\Data, and I had NTFS junctions pointing my
11 > > .libpurple on both boots at a directory on that volume.
12 >
13 > Hmmmm, this is interesting. My brother has filled up his hard drive and
14 > I been planning on reinstalling to a larger drive. Maybe I need to
15 > check into this more. He uses XP and I really hate to install windoze.
16 > Since he had to spend $8,000.00 on a new mower, his new rig went to
17 > second place in the budget. This could be the place for the next couple
18 > years. Uhh, he mows grass for a living. Anyway, putting Documents on
19 > its own drive would save me some grief.
20
21 You will get some space back if you move all the backup files created with
22 MSWindows updates out of C:\ (but not the index which is needed to be able to
23 update it properly). If space is running out fast, then you may have a
24 corrupt page file. Delete it and move it to another drive/partition.
25
26 Finally, clear all cruft in /temp directory (somewhere under local settings)
27 for each user.
28
29 If you have another drive, move all his data out of C:\ then defrag and
30 shrink the partition a bit, create new partition(s) and install Linux! ;-)
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick