From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: change and improvement
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 07:26:50
1 Michael Mol wrote:
4 > On Oct 6, 2011 11:21 PM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Mick wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> On Thursday 06 Oct 2011 20:42:43 Dale wrote:
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Michael Orlitzky wrote:
12 > >>>>
13 > >>>> On 10/06/2011 04:20 AM, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
14 > >>>>>
15 > >>>>> most of the "oh it's so weird"-whining often comes from just not
16 > being
17 > >>>>> used to it. flip your door lock upside down - you'll hate it with
18 > >>>>> passion for a week and then you won't even notice. flip it again and
19 > >>>>> the process will repeat.
20 > >>>>
21 > >>>> But if someone else snuck into your house and flipped your locks
22 > every
23 > >>>> week?
24 > >>>>
25 > >>>> This one change won't be catastrophic, but I will probably spend
26 > a good
27 > >>>> eight hours researching, testing, implementing, and documenting
28 > it. In
29 > >>>> the end, *if everything goes according to plan*, stuff will work
30 > exactly
31 > >>>> how it does now.
32 > >>>>
33 > >>>> If Grub were the only package to do this -- fine, whatever. But next
34 > >>>> week it will be something else. I don't know what my point is, but it
35 > >>>> feels good to bitch about it.
36 > >>>
37 > >>> This is how I feel about the initramfs thingy and /usr and /var. What
38 > >>> is next? I am pretty sure it will be something tho.
39 > >>
40 > >> I share your pain. :-(
41 > >>
42 > >> I'm not sure if this a sign of me getting (even) older, or Linux
43 > maturing and
44 > >> in doing so it caters less and less for Gentoo geeky users and more
45 > and more
46 > >> for mainstream ignoramuses. :p
47 > >>
48 > >
49 > > I was thinking more like windoze really. If windoze starts having
50 > mount points like Linux, things could start changing. ^_^ Think
51 > about it, windoze currently has to have its stuff on the C drive and
52 > Linux can be spread out over many drives and you can mount things
53 > wherever you want. Linux is going the way of windoze then windoze
54 > would be going the way of Linux. Weird huh?
55 >
56 > You've been able to do this since at least WinXP. I don't know if that
57 > functionality extends through Win2k and earlier.
58 >
59 > On one hand, you can configure the locations of things like
60 > %PROGRAMFILES% and %SYSTEMROOT%. On the other hand, you can mount a
61 > volume wherever you like.
62 >
63 > I used this to use the same .libpurple directory on a machine
64 > dual-booted between WinXP 32-bit and WinVista 64-bit. A data volume
65 > was mounted at D:\Data, and I had NTFS junctions pointing my
66 > .libpurple on both boots at a directory on that volume.
69 Hmmmm, this is interesting. My brother has filled up his hard drive and
70 I been planning on reinstalling to a larger drive. Maybe I need to
71 check into this more. He uses XP and I really hate to install windoze.
72 Since he had to spend $8,000.00 on a new mower, his new rig went to
73 second place in the budget. This could be the place for the next couple
74 years. Uhh, he mows grass for a living. Anyway, putting Documents on
75 its own drive would save me some grief.
76
77 So, windoze is catching up to Linux since Linux is regressing. Man,
78 this is weird.
79
80 Dale
81