From: AG <computing.account@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Considering launching into Gentoo
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:01:34
1 Hello list
2
3 I am currently running Debian Squeeze and am considering the feasibility
4 of switching to Gentoo due to several issues I am experiencing with a
5 new machine with a SATA HDD and a TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Z which refuses
6 to play audio CDs and pre-recorded DVDs.
7
8 In any event, because I have loads of data on my /home partition, I'm
9 curious about a few things, primarily what are the implications of
10 dual-booting with Gentoo as my second OS, so that I can experience
11 Gentoo without losing my data, etc.
12
13 How compatible are Gentoo and Debian in terms of using a shared /home
14 directory - I am concerned about uid for the directory for instance
15 which, if I changed it for Gentoo, may not work for Debian and vice versa.
16
17 Any thoughts/ suggestions?
18
19 Many thanks