From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Considering launching into Gentoo
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:09:41
1 On Saturday 13 June 2009, AG wrote:
2 > Hello list
3 >
4 > I am currently running Debian Squeeze and am considering the
5 > feasibility of switching to Gentoo due to several issues I am
6 > experiencing with a new machine with a SATA HDD and a TSSTcorp CDDVDW
7 > TS-H653Z which refuses to play audio CDs and pre-recorded DVDs.
8 >
9 > In any event, because I have loads of data on my /home partition, I'm
10 > curious about a few things, primarily what are the implications of
11 > dual-booting with Gentoo as my second OS, so that I can experience
12 > Gentoo without losing my data, etc.
13 >
14 > How compatible are Gentoo and Debian in terms of using a shared /home
15 > directory - I am concerned about uid for the directory for instance
16 > which, if I changed it for Gentoo, may not work for Debian and vice
17 > versa.
18 >
19 > Any thoughts/ suggestions?
20 >
21 > Many thanks
22 >
23 > AG
24
25 I had for a while a dual boot Gentoo-Debian. It is nothing to worry
26 about.
27
28 The only two things I remember (it was mid 2005) are:
29
30 1) kmail repository is in a different subdir (~/.mail vs ~/Mail)
31 2) Openoffice folder had different naming as well
32
33 Those are not issues that are worked around with a couple of symlinks.
34
35 WRT UID/GID just make sure in advance the two OS uses the same.
36
37 Don't forget to make backup before starting your tests ;-)
38
39 Ciao
40 Francesco
44 Linux Version 2.6.30-gentoo, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 11 18:44:20
46 Two 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 4018.72 Bogomips Total
47 aemaeth