From: kwkhui@××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Understanding new ruby dependencies
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 18:36:32
1 On Tue, 22 May 2012 11:01:45 -0700
2 Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Apparently I have to add some ruby_targets_ruby19 USE flags to my
5 > system.
6
7 No! Don't do that! Instead, you should add a line
8
9 RUBY_TARGETS=ruby19
10
11 in your make.conf (or RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19") and let portage do
12 the USE_EXPAND to ruby_targets_ruby19 (respectively,
13 ruby_targets_ruby18 ruby_targets_ruby19) itself for the relevant
14 packages. See ${PORTDIR}/profiles/desc/ruby_targets.desc for
15 description. It is much easier and more intuitive this way, since you
16 are not doing weird things like building package A for ruby18 but not
17 package B.
18
19 > Question 2: Does it seem weird that portage wants me to add USE flags
20 > to enable some feature in a package I never heard of and have no
21 > interest in and to top it off has a very weird name
22 > (ruby_targets_ruby19)?
23
24 The "weird" name is a result of USE_EXPANDing RUBY_TARGETS, just like
25 LINGUAS and SANE_BACKENDS, for example.
26
27 Kerwin.