From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Understanding new ruby dependencies
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 18:03:29
1 On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o> wrote:
2 > Yes, this is true. We do this because normally ruby contains a copy of
3 > rdoc. We unbundle that and thus the external rdoc implementation is
4 > installed.
5
6 Hans,
7
8 Thank you, I understand.
9
10 Apparently I have to add some ruby_targets_ruby19 USE flags to my
11 system. I pasted a snippet of my /etc/portage/package.use below. I
12 included some other entries for context.
13
14 Question 1: Is it true that, except for this new RUBY stuff, every
15 entry in my package.use file is an attempt by me to enable some
16 feature I want in a package I want?
17
18 Answer 1: Yes
19
20 Question 2: Does it seem weird that portage wants me to add USE flags
21 to enable some feature in a package I never heard of and have no
22 interest in and to top it off has a very weird name
23 (ruby_targets_ruby19)?
24
25 Answer 2: [your answer here]
26
27 The tone of this message might sound obnoxious, but it's just a
28 "trick" I am using to better ask my question. I'm not complaining (I
29 don't even know enough about this to have a complaint), I'm really
30 just curious.
31
32 Thank you,
33
34 Chris
35
36 ===
37
38 From /etc/portage/package.use:
39
40 # Give a GUI to cmake
41 dev-util/cmake qt4
42
43 # Enable git-svn, gitk, and git bash completion
44 dev-vcs/git tk bash-completion subversion
45 dev-vcs/subversion -dso perl
46
47 # Enable nice mounts in gnome
48 gnome-base/gvfs fuse
49
50 # Enable plotting in octave
51 sci-mathematics/octave gnuplot
52
53 # Satisfy Gentoo's desire to have RUBY and rdoc installed
54 dev-ruby/rubygems ruby_targets_ruby19
55 dev-ruby/rake ruby_targets_ruby19
56 dev-ruby/racc ruby_targets_ruby19
57 dev-ruby/rdoc ruby_targets_ruby19
58 dev-ruby/json ruby_targets_ruby19