From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I run a 32-bit CentOS chroot on a 64-bit Gentoo host?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 17:46:37
1 On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > What I'd like to do is a 32-bit CentOS chroot inside my 64-bit Gentoo
4 > desktop host. I'm looking at rsync'ing the / directory from inside the
5 > CentOS VM file system to a directory on the 64-bit host, and then chroot
6 > into the copy on the host.
9 I'd strongly consider using a container instead of a chroot. There
10 are really no downsides to doing so, and you're far less likely to run
11 into issues once you understand how they work. While I'm not
12 personally a huge fan of docker I'd be shocked if CentOS didn't have
13 official docker images, which would make getting the base OS set up a
14 one-liner.
15
16 However, for just doing a build a chroot is probably adequate.
17
18 Either way you'll get a lot more performance than from a VM,
19 especially for something like a build.
22 Rich