From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing /home and swap
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 06:02:56
1 bunyip ~ # esearch VirtualBox
2 [ Results for search key : VirtualBox ]
3 [ Applications found : 8 ]
4
5 * app-emulation/virtualbox
6 Latest version available: 4.0.12
7 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
8 Size of downloaded files: 67,936 kB
9 Homepage: http://www.virtualbox.org/
11 enterprise as well as home use
12 License: GPL-2
13
14 ...
17 I'd recommend vbox then ... just works. Almost as easy as dual boot and
18 less risk to the base system (i.e., getting the disk order wrong on
19 install and overwriting the existing OS) - by the way sharing your home
20 directory (vs /home as a different user) is fraught - many apps use
21 different configs depending on versions - 'evolution' for instance could
22 really break your email as later versions switch to a database format
23 and subsequent versions fiddle with it.
24
25 Install it, open vbox-manager from the menu and create a new VM with
26 whatever specs you want, put the CD for suse in and point the Vbox CD to
27 it in setup and "go". You might need to read up on kernel options for
28 virtualisation if you have a customised kernel vs genkernel to get the
29 best (almost native) performance.
30
31 Love vms for dev work - snapshot it regularly so you can wind back the
32 clock when necessary ...
33
34 BillK
38 -----Original Message-----
39 From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
40 Reply-to: gentoo-user@l.g.o
41 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
42 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing /home and swap
43 Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:37:34 +0800
44