From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:09:36
1 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Martin Vaeth:
3 >> hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>> With rsync I believe you can exclude categories:
5 >>>> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Exclude_categories_from_emerge_sync
6 >>>
7 >>> That is uninformed.
8 >>
9 >> I think he is right.
10 >>
11 >>> check the --depth option of git. You can even clone specific tags with
12 >>> --depth=1.
13 >>
14 >> Every tag will still contain all categories:
15 >> AFAIK, with git, it is not possible to update everyting but e.g. *access*
16 >> *kde* *i10n* *gnome* if you know that you will never install an
17 >> ebuild from these categories.
18 >
19 > My max DL rate is ~700KiB/s and is the limiting factor.
20
21 My concern is not the time but the total volume (there are still
22 often limitations involved), and perhaps even more important,
23 the disk usage, especially compared with methods like squashfs(+aufs).
24 It simply is a fact that with git you have to download and store a
25 lot of unnecessary information (if you are not a developer and do
26 not use a heavy system): not only git metadata but also
27 unneeded categories.
28 So for non-developers, downloading with git does not necessarily
29 make sense.
30
31 That being said, please do not consider this as an argument against
32 a change to git: For developers it has only advantages, and AFAIK,
33 it is not planned to cancel other download methods anyway.