From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ipw2200 + Intel Pro Wireless 2915 a/b/g: "ipw2200: Firmware error detected. Restarting."
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:33:30
1 Hope that you get a more useful response.... FWIW, I Had precisely these
2 symptoms on my Sony 2200 laptop - and can't tell you why - but it is rock
3 sold now. I think there were two things going on:
4
5 1. This might be a "kill" switch? Some of my problems were certainly due
6 to the kill switch. I finally noticed that the little wireless LEDs were
7 off. I had turned them off while using the windows OS - given that it is
8 susceptable to the wonderful new driver attacks - and had failed to turn
9 it on when booting up hardened Linux (which I believe is NOT susectable to
10 the driver buffer overflows).
11
12 2. I also suggest a step by step walk-through of the following page (check
13 your kernel config).
14
15 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw2200
16
17 P.S. Contrary to their suggestion, I emerged the latest driver/firmware
18 from portage.
19
20 Newbie. (HTH; good luck.)
21