From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ipw2200 + Intel Pro Wireless 2915 a/b/g: "ipw2200: Firmware error detected. Restarting."
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:16:52
In Reply to: [gentoo-user] Re: ipw2200 + Intel Pro Wireless 2915 a/b/g: "ipw2200: Firmware error detected. Restarting." by 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@gmail.com>
1 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > Hope that you get a more useful response.... FWIW, I Had precisely these
3 > symptoms on my Sony 2200 laptop - and can't tell you why - but it is
4 > rock sold now. I think there were two things going on:
5 >
6 > 1. This might be a "kill" switch? Some of my problems were certainly due
7 > to the kill switch. I finally noticed that the little wireless LEDs
8 > were off. I had turned them off while using the windows OS - given that
9 > it is susceptable to the wonderful new driver attacks - and had failed
10 > to turn it on when booting up hardened Linux (which I believe is NOT
11 > susectable to the driver buffer overflows).
12 >
13 > 2. I also suggest a step by step walk-through of the following page
14 > (check your kernel config).
15 >
16 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw2200
17 >
18 > P.S. Contrary to their suggestion, I emerged the latest driver/firmware
19 > from portage.
20
21 Thanks for the reply.
22
23 I don't have a physical switch, but perhaps there is a software switch.
24 This laptop has never run windows, so I can't say that is a factor.
25
26 I had not seen that wiki, i'll give it a look. I also use the drivers
27 from portage, the in-kernel ones are just too old and always have been.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list