From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge new package for no reason??
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 08:19:53
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 09 September 2006 03:41, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Saturday 09 September 2006 04:25, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Yea, I know about aim being gone. My wife uses this once in a blue moon
7 >>> and she !HAS! to have aim.
8 >>>
9 >
10 > Can't she use Gaim, Kopete, etc. - or is the GUI important for her?
13 >> Well, if you don't care about that it is no longer supported you can always
14 >> download the ebuild from cvs [1] or copy it from /var/db/pkg/net-im/aim and
15 >> put it in your overlay.
16 >>
17 >> [1] http://viewcvs.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/net-im/aim/?hideattic=0
20 > There remains of course the issue of security holes that may be discovered but
21 > not reported, or fixed, as already mentioned.
24 She's a windoze person. Before we met, she didn't even know Linux
25 existed. After seeing mine run 24/7 for several months without a
26 reboot, or more importantly a crash, she's warming up. Her XP box
27 crashed twice so far. I rescued her data for her though. That helped.
28 She does need a GUI thing though. Console would certainly scare her off
29 in a hurry.
30
31 Now to check into Gaim and Kopete. Here I go installing more stuff. I
32 already have about 900 on here. O_O
33
34 Thanks
35