From: "Marc Stürmer" <mail@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jitsi or Other Skype Alternative
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:49:01
1 Am 23.08.2013 12:50, schrieb the:
2 > Does that mean that I should buy hardware to match software requirements?
3
4 Do you really want to tell me that you are still working on a Pentium
5 133 with maybe 64 MB of RAM?
6
7 I mean it has always been like that: people buy indeed hardware to match
8 software requirements, e.g. to play better games or to watch Youtube
9 videos in High Definition.
10
11 Of course no one is going to force you to do so, so if you are happy
12 with less power you need less, of course.
13
14 The point for Skype, last time I am going to repeat that, is that it
15 works out of the box for the normal user and the large user base. You
16 need no bachelor in computer sciences to set it up and get it running,
17 even your proverbial grandma in mind is able to do that.
18
19 And that's what 99% of Skype frankly care about at all: that it works
20 that way. They don't really care about nerdy themes like bugs, privacy
21 concerns, backdoors, whatever - it works for them good enough, cheap and
22 reliable and that's what's counts at all.
23
24 So if you really want a piece of software to replace Skype, it depends
25 on your goals: just for talking over the internet you can take a
26 VoIP-program like Ekiga and so on. But if you want to replace Skype with
27 something better, you first need to recognize why it got so popular in
28 first place and make something even better for its user base. Or -
29 another way - just buy the company behind it.
30
31 And in modern times like ours I personally and frankly think that
32 telling "OMFG Skype uses so much RAM" is not really something most
33 people care about anymore at all. I mean, even really cheap computers
34 you can buy today, have at last around 4 GB of RAM, being a multitude of
35 RAM being necessary to run Skype smoothly.
36
37 And because most Gentoo users are being used to compile their own stuff
38 (until they use Sabayon), their computers are normally being far from
39 underpowered.
40
41 Of course, if you do care about it - don't use it, it is that simple.
42 But don't expect the rest of it to share your point of view and do it
43 likewise.
44
45 For normal users it is like: all software sucks and they tend to use
46 that piece of software which sucks less for them. If their favorite
47 piece of software starts to suck more, then they are going to another
48 piece of software, but not before.