From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going ~x86?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:05:55
1 On Wednesday 11 November 2009 19:51:26 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
3 > wrote: <SNIP>
4 >
5 > > yes, it is easier to just go ~x86. Yes, it is very very very hard to go
6 > > back - easier to reinstall
7 >
8 > Isn't there a lot more work to do to keep it up to date? Seems to me
9 > testing packages are going to change more often and as not every one
10 > of them will eventually become stable. Isn't it just a lot more
11 > electrons burned to keep things emerge -DuN @world clean?
12
13 Yes, ~arch is higher-touch than arch so ~arch users will emerge lots more
14 stuff.
15
16 Is it worth it? That depends on the reason why the box is there and only it's
17 admin can decide. And everyone's reasoning will be different.
18
19 I run ~arch everything because
20
21 1. I'm a geek
22 2. I like to fiddle
23 3. I can have as much bandwidth as I want
24 4. I can test/use new softwares locally before rolling it out to my production
25 machines
26 5. I can warn others using more stable OSes about deep changes coming down the
27 tubes (X for instance. RHEL users are in for a big surprise sometime in the
28 next 6 months to 5 years...)
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com