From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:04:23
1 On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
2 > On 2012-12-24, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
5 >>> On 2012-12-24, Dale wrote:
6 >>>
7 > [...]
8 >>>> From my understanding, if I upgrade my system to the later version of
9 >>>> udev and bypass the init system, my system will not boot. I have not
10 >>>> tested the theory but that is what people have been saying. Not only is
11 >>>> my /usr separate but it is on LVM partitons too.
12 >>>
13 >>> Your problem would be LVM (if that's an issue at all, as I said I don't
14 >>> know LVM), you'd not need udevd to mount /usr if it were a regular
15 >>> partition.
16 >>
17 >> "you wouldn't have this problem if you did *something else*" is a
18 >> terrible response. There are very good reasons to use LVM. There are
19 >> good (IMO, at least) reasons to avoid using an initr* on Gentoo.
20 >> (Those reasons are sprinkled through the thread, some spoken by me,
21 >> some spoken by others.)
22 >
23 > A shame that was not what I meant at all, the only thing I said was
24 > "yes, the problem is probably caused by it being on LVM, not because of
25 > /usr being separate". Just pointing the specific part of Dale's config
26 > that would be the problem.
27
28 Miscommunication, then. Happens. :)
34 :wq