From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 15:55:51
1 On 2012-12-24, Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
4 >> On 2012-12-24, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 [...]
7 >>> From my understanding, if I upgrade my system to the later version of
8 >>> udev and bypass the init system, my system will not boot. I have not
9 >>> tested the theory but that is what people have been saying. Not only is
10 >>> my /usr separate but it is on LVM partitons too.
11 >>
12 >> Your problem would be LVM (if that's an issue at all, as I said I don't
13 >> know LVM), you'd not need udevd to mount /usr if it were a regular
14 >> partition.
15 >
16 > "you wouldn't have this problem if you did *something else*" is a
17 > terrible response. There are very good reasons to use LVM. There are
18 > good (IMO, at least) reasons to avoid using an initr* on Gentoo.
19 > (Those reasons are sprinkled through the thread, some spoken by me,
20 > some spoken by others.)
21
22 A shame that was not what I meant at all, the only thing I said was
23 "yes, the problem is probably caused by it being on LVM, not because of
24 /usr being separate". Just pointing the specific part of Dale's config
25 that would be the problem.
26
27 > You'll find most of the people in the discussion so far aren't against
28 > initr* in all cases. It's the increase in number of cases where it
29 > becomes technically required that's a problem.
32 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
33 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/