From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Inconsistent mountpoint for /
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:09:08
1 Alan E. Davis writes:
2 > On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:16:26 +1000, lngndvs@×××××.com wrote:
4 > >> In grub, it is located first as hd1 (/dev/sdb) and then as
5 > >> /dev/sda5. That is where I want it to be.
6 > >
7 > > Those are two different things. the first is GRUB's root directory, the
8 > > place where is will find its configuration and stage files (i.e. the
9 > > location of /boot). The root argument on the kernel line is tell the
10 > > kernel the location of your root filesystem - /.
11 >
12 > I need to have the second drive (SATA #2) as the first boot drive
13 > because that's the drive with the grub setup in the MBR, for Gentoo.
14
15 Is there a reason why yo keep having grub on #2? If not, I'd just run grub,
16 enter
17 root (hd0,0)
18 setup (hd0)
19 quit
20 , copy /boot/grub/grub.conf over and all should be fine.
21
22 If you prefer to leavy it as it is: instead of using the partiton itself
23 (like /dev/sda5) in grub.conf and fstab, you could try the /dev/disk-by-
24 label/<label of your root partition> notation. You can use dumpe2fs -h
25 /dev/sda5 to see the label as Filesystem volume name, and tune2fs -L to
26 change it. Then it would not matter on which drive the partiton actually is.
27
28 Wonko