From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Inconsistent mountpoint for /
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:34:03
1 On 07/11/2009 08:08 AM, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Alan E. Davis writes:
3 >> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:16:26 +1000, lngndvs@×××××.com wrote:
5 >>>> In grub, it is located first as hd1 (/dev/sdb) and then as
6 >>>> /dev/sda5. That is where I want it to be.
7 >>>
8 >>> Those are two different things. the first is GRUB's root directory, the
9 >>> place where is will find its configuration and stage files (i.e. the
10 >>> location of /boot). The root argument on the kernel line is tell the
11 >>> kernel the location of your root filesystem - /.
12 >>
13 >> I need to have the second drive (SATA #2) as the first boot drive
14 >> because that's the drive with the grub setup in the MBR, for Gentoo.
15 >
16 > Is there a reason why yo keep having grub on #2? If not, I'd just run grub,
17 > enter
18 > root (hd0,0)
19 > setup (hd0)
20 > quit
21 > , copy /boot/grub/grub.conf over and all should be fine.
22 >
23 > If you prefer to leavy it as it is: instead of using the partiton itself
24 > (like /dev/sda5) in grub.conf and fstab, you could try the /dev/disk-by-
25 > label/<label of your root partition> notation. You can use dumpe2fs -h
26 > /dev/sda5 to see the label as Filesystem volume name, and tune2fs -L to
27 > change it. Then it would not matter on which drive the partiton actually is.
28
29 Alan, FTR this is pretty much what I was going to suggest. As you can see
30 by Alex's amended post, this is a confusing subject and it's all too easy
31 to make a bad mistake.
32
33 The very first thing I do before changing anything is to make a bootable
34 USB stick or floppy with all of the files needed to install grub, so I can't
35 lock myself out with my stupid mistakes.
36
37 My USB stick, e.g. shows up in grub as (hd2). Now, I can't possibly think
38 straight enough to know in advance that the USB stick is (hd2), so what I
39 do every time is to use this trick from the grub prompt:
40
41 grub> root (hd<now I hit TAB for a list of all drives that grub finds>
42 grub> root (hd<TAB>
43 Possible disks are: hd0 hd1 hd2 <that narrows it down to three>
44
45 Now for each of the three disks I continue this way:
46 grub> root (hd0,<TAB to get a list of all partitions on (hd0)>
47
48 On the third disk I finally recognize my USB stick because it has only one
49 partition, but just to be sure:
50
51 grub> root (hd2,0)/<TAB to get a list of all directories on the partition>
52
53 If by that time I'm still not sure which is the right disk then I'd better
54 go take a nap before proceeding ;o)
55
56 Now I mount the USB stick and make a new directory /boot/grub and into that
57 I copy all the install files from /lib/grub/i386-pc/
58
59 Now you need to install grub onto the USB stick to make it bootable:
60
61 grub> root (hd2,0) <that's where I put the grub install files>
62 grub> setup (hd2) <don't specify a partition when running setup!>
63 grub> quit
64
65 You can now boot the USB stick and use it to install grub on a hard disk,
66 and of course you can use it to boot a machine with grub improperly
67 installed or configured.