From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM (Was: the best filesystem for server: XFS or JFS (or?))
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:22:20
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 26 March 2011 15:06:31 Elaine C. Sharpe wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Just because something works for most people, doesn't mean it will for
5 >>> everyone either. If you lose data, it doesn't matter. LVM just adds
6 >>> one more layer of something to go wrong. Me, I don't need the extra
7 >>> risk of having a system that doesn't boot and a loss of data. I'm sure
8 >>> there are a lot of people that see it the way I do too. They just
9 >>> don't
10 >>> need the extra risk.
11 >>>
12 >> Using the least number of layers of abstraction you can get away with is
13 >> a perfectly valid criteria. What I was pointing out was that informal
14 >> polls of users with a sad story to tell is not a very effective way to
15 >> conduct research. People say all kinds of things that just aren't true.
16 >>
17 > There's an elephant in this room. The number of actual layers is greater than
18 > just LVM plus FS. It's whatever the BIOS (or a reasonable substitute is
19 > doing), plus the drive firmware, kernel driver(s) - there's more than one of
20 > those - plus any RAID in use (hardware or software) and finally the file
21 > system.
22 >
23 > That's a lot of layers, a lot of code, a lot of opportunity for people to
24 > reveal the extent of their lack of knowledge. I've often heard it said that
25 > code like ZFS and brtfs eliminates several of these layers therefore it's
26 > technically a better option. That may be true, but let me just point out that
27 > whatever LVM+fs+other_stuff is doing as separate chunks of code also gets done
28 > by ZFS etc. You just don't see it, and just because it's abstracted away
29 > doesn't mean it's not there.
33 I'll add this. Alan if I recall correctly runs a lot of systems. He
34 has a boatload of experience using all sorts of software/hardware. Me,
35 I don't. For the longest, I had one system and that was it. If I
36 upgrade my kernel, LVM, or some package that LVM depends on and I can't
37 boot, I'm screwed. If I can't boot, I can't google anything to find out
38 how to fix it. I also don't know enough about LVM to fix it myself.
39 Since there is so many layers of things that can already go wrong on a
40 system, adding one more layer that can be complicated only makes a
41 problem grow.
42
43 I'm sure Alan and many others could go out and buy or build a new system
44 and put LVM on it and fix about any problem that comes along. Thing is,
45 there are others that can't. Add to this that when I was thinking about
46 using it, I read where a lot of people, for whatever reason, couldn't
47 get it back working again and lost data. For me, I don't care if it was
48 LVM itself, the kernel or some combination of other things, if I can't
49 boot or lose data, the result is the same. I can fix a kernel problem,
50 a broken package but if LVM fails, I'm stuck.
51
52 That said, I now have a second rig. I may at some point use LVM because
53 I can always go to the other room and use my old rig to get help. I
54 already have a 750Gb drive that is about full of pictures, I got a
55 camera and get a little happy at times, and videos I have downloaded,
56 everything from TV series to stuff off youtube. I may buy another large
57 drive and use LVM or something to give me more room since I really don't
58 want to have to break up my filing system across two separate drives. I
59 won't consider putting the booting part of my OS on LVM tho.
60
61 Of course, I did see a 3Tb drive on sale the other day at newegg. o_O
62 That would last a while. ;-)
63
64 Dale
65