From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM (Was: the best filesystem for server: XFS or JFS (or?))
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:38:02
1 On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Saturday 26 March 2011 15:06:31 Elaine C. Sharpe wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Just because something works for most people, doesn't mean it will for
8 >>>> everyone either.  If you lose data, it doesn't matter.  LVM just adds
9 >>>> one more layer of something to go wrong.  Me, I don't need the extra
10 >>>> risk of having a system that doesn't boot and a loss of data.  I'm sure
11 >>>> there are a lot of people that see it the way I do too.  They just
12 >>>> don't
13 >>>> need the extra risk.
14 >>>>
15 >>>
16 >>> Using the least number of layers of abstraction you can get away with is
17 >>> a perfectly valid criteria. What I was pointing out was that informal
18 >>> polls of users with a sad story to tell is not a very effective way to
19 >>> conduct research. People say all kinds of things that just aren't true.
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> There's an elephant in this room. The number of actual layers is greater
23 >> than
24 >> just LVM plus FS. It's whatever the BIOS (or a reasonable substitute is
25 >> doing), plus the drive firmware, kernel driver(s) - there's more than one
26 >> of
27 >> those - plus any RAID in use (hardware or software) and finally the file
28 >> system.
29 >>
30 >> That's a lot of layers, a lot of code, a lot of opportunity for people to
31 >> reveal the extent of their lack of knowledge. I've often heard it said
32 >> that
33 >> code like ZFS and brtfs eliminates several of these layers therefore it's
34 >> technically a better option. That may be true, but let me just point out
35 >> that
36 >> whatever LVM+fs+other_stuff is doing as separate chunks of code also gets
37 >> done
38 >> by ZFS etc. You just don't see it, and just because it's abstracted away
39 >> doesn't mean it's not there.
43 > I'll add this.  Alan if I recall correctly runs a lot of systems.  He has a
44 > boatload of experience using all sorts of software/hardware.  Me, I don't.
45 >  For the longest, I had one system and that was it.  If I upgrade my kernel,
46 > LVM, or some package that LVM depends on and I can't boot, I'm screwed.  If
47 > I can't boot, I can't google anything to find out how to fix it.  I also
48 > don't know enough about LVM to fix it myself.  Since there is so many layers
49 > of things that can already go wrong on a system, adding one more layer that
50 > can be complicated only makes a problem grow.
51 >
52 > I'm sure Alan and many others could go out and buy or build a new system and
53 > put LVM on it and fix about any problem that comes along.  Thing is, there
54 > are others that can't.  Add to this that when I was thinking about using it,
55 > I read where a lot of people, for whatever reason, couldn't get it back
56 > working again and lost data.  For me, I don't care if it was LVM itself, the
57 > kernel or some combination of other things, if I can't boot or lose data,
58 > the result is the same.  I can fix a kernel problem, a broken package but if
59 > LVM fails, I'm stuck.
60 >
61 > That said, I now have a second rig.  I may at some point use LVM because I
62 > can always go to the other room and use my old rig to get help.  I already
63 > have a 750Gb drive that is about full of pictures, I got a camera and get a
64 > little happy at times, and videos I have downloaded, everything from TV
65 > series to stuff off youtube.  I may buy another large drive and use LVM or
66 > something to give me more room since I really don't want to have to break up
67 > my filing system across two separate drives.  I won't consider putting the
68 > booting part of my OS on LVM tho.
69 >
70 > Of course, I did see a 3Tb drive on sale the other day at newegg.  o_O  That
71 > would last a while.  ;-)
72 >
73 > Dale
74 >
75 > :-)  :-)
76
77 Dale,
78 I understand your position and concerns. While I have a number of
79 systems, I have little time or patience for dealing with a lot of this
80 stuff and LVM has been one of them.
81
82 One thing I'm considering to try out LVM is a second Gentoo
83 installation on an already running system. It will either be a 50GB
84 partition of its own, or a Virtualbox VM. I'd do the normal Gentoo
85 install for LVM, figure out how it works, etc., and then decide if I
86 want to use it in the future.
87
88 After all, as Neil said, if something offers features we don't feel
89 we need then why buy it?
90
91 - Mark