From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 22:42:50
1 On 08/22/2011 01:41 PM, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 >>> > > I don't think this is true - as long as the CHOST is identical, there
3 >>> > > should be no problem.
4 >> >
5 >> > CHOST defines the arch (i686, amd64, arm ..) whilst CFLAGS control gcc
6 >> > behavior and the binary code generation produced by compiler. in my case
7 >> > core2quad (q8300) i'm using in the desktop supports sse4.1 instruction
8 >> > set and notebook powered with core2duo (t7600) does not have that cpu
9 >> > feature. having option `-msse4.1' set in CFLAGS at desktop side will
10 >> > causes frequent compilation failures (initiated by distcc) or, in worst
11 >> > case - arbitrary crashes at notebook when running binaries compiled in
12 >> > distributed distcc environment
13 > But how could the gcc on the desktop, called via distcc, even see the CFLAGS
14 > in the desktops make.conf? This just cannot be.
15 > I have been using march=athlon-xp on my desktop, and yet used it as distcc
16 > server for my Pentium-III notebook for years. Worked fine.
17
18 The arguments sent to gcc tell it what kind of object gcc is supposed to
19 create. If gcc cannot create the object you request because it's not the
20 right "kind" of gcc, implies that, within the same gcc version, it is
21 unable to reproduce object files.