From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:42:55
1 victor romanchuk writes:
2
3 > >> i had noticed that distcc is peevish about CFLAGS: these should be
4 > >> compatible on both client and server. in my case i made these
5 > >> similar on both machines (laptop is core2duo and desktop is
6 > >> core2quad; both are running amd64 arch)
7 > >
8 > > I don't think this is true - as long as the CHOST is identical, there
9 > > should be no problem.
10 >
11 > CHOST defines the arch (i686, amd64, arm ..) whilst CFLAGS control gcc
12 > behavior and the binary code generation produced by compiler. in my case
13 > core2quad (q8300) i'm using in the desktop supports sse4.1 instruction
14 > set and notebook powered with core2duo (t7600) does not have that cpu
15 > feature. having option `-msse4.1' set in CFLAGS at desktop side will
16 > causes frequent compilation failures (initiated by distcc) or, in worst
17 > case - arbitrary crashes at notebook when running binaries compiled in
18 > distributed distcc environment
19
20 But how could the gcc on the desktop, called via distcc, even see the CFLAGS
21 in the desktops make.conf? This just cannot be.
22 I have been using march=athlon-xp on my desktop, and yet used it as distcc
23 server for my Pentium-III notebook for years. Worked fine.
24
25 Wonko