From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 22:37:20
1 On 08/22/2011 01:41 PM, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 >>> > > I don't think this is true - as long as the CHOST is identical, there
3 >>> > > should be no problem.
4 >> >
5 >> > CHOST defines the arch (i686, amd64, arm ..) whilst CFLAGS control gcc
6 >> > behavior and the binary code generation produced by compiler. in my case
7 >> > core2quad (q8300) i'm using in the desktop supports sse4.1 instruction
8 >> > set and notebook powered with core2duo (t7600) does not have that cpu
9 >> > feature. having option `-msse4.1' set in CFLAGS at desktop side will
10 >> > causes frequent compilation failures (initiated by distcc) or, in worst
11 >> > case - arbitrary crashes at notebook when running binaries compiled in
12 >> > distributed distcc environment
13 > But how could the gcc on the desktop, called via distcc, even see the CFLAGS
14 > in the desktops make.conf? This just cannot be.
15 > I have been using march=athlon-xp on my desktop, and yet used it as distcc
16 > server for my Pentium-III notebook for years. Worked fine.