From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:14:51
1 Jason Weisberger wrote:
2 >
3 > I actually have 4 gigs of gskill DDR 3 1600 and from experience I can
4 > tell you that the stock voltage on those chips is set too low. The
5 > company actually recommends that you use 1.9 volts while most
6 > motherboards will default to 1.5 or 1.6. Double check this however,
7 > because I know they were working on some JEDEC compliant DDR 3
8 > (standard voltage of 1.5) a while back but I'm not certain if they
9 > just decided to throw in the towel on that effort. My system would
10 > crash using 1.5 but wouldn't produce any errors on memtest86+. This
11 > all just sounds too familiar.
15 Well, I think recompiling everything fixed the issue. This is where I
16 am now:
17
18 root@fireball / # uptime
19 14:05:46 up 1 day, 5:29, 4 users, load average: 0.43, 0.24, 0.23
20 root@fireball / #
21
22 So far, no problems. I'll check on the voltages when I reboot again. I
23 know it was set to auto tho. I don't usually mess with those. I did
24 overclock my old rig once, folding complained so I set it back and
25 haven't messed with it since.
26
27 Another thing, I tried putting portage on tmpfs, it isn't any faster. I
28 recompiled a few packages and most of them only had a difference of
29 seconds. Even a 20 minute compile only had a difference of like 20
30 seconds. Most were less than that tho.
31
32 I got to find some good way to use all this ram. Maybe I need to start
33 working with editing videos or something. I got some on VHS that need
34 to be on DVD. ^_^
35
36 Dale
37