From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [solved] Re: [gentoo-user] Xinerama on 945GM: "Set VBE mode failed"
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:14:51
1 At Sun, 20 May 2007 19:13:24 +0200 Gian Domeni Calgeer <gidoca@×××.ch> wrote:
2
3 > Am Sonntag, 20. Mai 2007 17:57 schrieb burlingk@×××××××××.mil:
4 >> If you mean to physically plug the device in when you are
5 >> starting X, that is not a satisfactory option by any means. :/
6 >
7 > That is exactly what I mean. The problem seems to be that the BIOS sets the
8 > external monitor as the default output device if it is already plugged when
9 > the computer is switched on. Unlike my father's notebook, mine doesn't have
10 > an option in the BIOS setup to set the internal screen as the default output
11 > device.
12
13 Have you tried booting (with the device plugged in) into single user
14 mode, then trying to convince the system to use the built in screen as
15 the default device (fn-f7 on my machine), and finally exiting the
16 single user shell to go multiuser? (One could also hit fn-f7 while
17 the system has the grub screen displayed and then go straight to
18 multiuser.)
19
20 I need to use such tricks since my laptop is 1680x1050 while the
21 external monitor is 1600x1200. I find that having the (text) output
22 already directed to the external monitor (mine defaults to internal)
23 prior to xdm/gdm invocation is useful (necessary?) to get 1600x1200
24 resolution.
25
26 allan
27 --