From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: blockage
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:22:44
1 On 22/03/2015 20:08, lee wrote:
2 > Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 2015-03-22 09:04, lee wrote:
5 >>> Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>>
7 >>>> On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Alan McKinnon
8 >>>> <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> It looks to me like sysvinit-2.88-r7 was stabilized and the
11 >>>>> maintainer of apcupsd didn't notice. From the ebuild for
12 >>>>> apcupsd-3.14.8-r2:
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> DEPEND=" || ( >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.23[tty-helpers]
15 >>>>> <=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r4 sys-freebsd/freebsd-ubin )
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> What I suggest is copy that ebuild to your local overlay and
18 >>>>> update the DEPEND to <=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r7 and redigest
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>> If that gives a correct update path for world, then file a bug
21 >>>>> against apcupsd.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> Some commands were moved from sysvinit to util-linux, and these
24 >>>> commands are required by apcupsd and are included in util-linux
25 >>>> if it's compiled with the "tty-helpers" use flag.
26 >>>
27 >>> Is this somehow reflected in the dependencies? And how could I
28 >>> deal with the multiple versions of util-linux that seem to be
29 >>> required?
30 >>>
31 >>> Perhaps I should forcefully update util-linux and use tty-helpers
32 >>> so that apcupsd still works in case I reboot. But what other
33 >>> problems might that cause?
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>> What am I supposed to think? Should we not update unless no
37 >>> problems are listed and just wait in case there are some,
38 >>> potentially having to wait indefinitely? How about security
39 >>> updates then?
40 >>>
41 >>>
42 >>
43 >> It is reflected in the dependencies by the fact that the first dep
44 >> (and generally the one chosen by portage) requires a new-enough
45 >> version of util-linux *with the "tty-helpers" USE flag enabled*. You
46 >> don't need multiple versions of anything installed. If you just add
47 >> "sys-apps/util-linux tty-helpers" to your /etc/portage/package.use
48 >> file and try again, you will likely find that portage will update
49 >> everything for you without any further issues.
50 >
51 > Oh that actually works! How is one supposed to know that this use flag
52 > must be added?
56 Sadly, you don't know. There is no clue in any of the output you posted
57 that this is required, so your only solution is to ask the collective
58 memory of the community. Lucky for you and others, Jonathan was aware of
59 the problem and was kind enough to post the solution.
60
61 This is one of the things that is starting to real get on my damn tits
62 about portage, for about 2 years now. It's not an easy problem to solve,
63 and to be honest, portage is not helping at all. You have two options in
64 running it: don't use -v and get very little info, or use -v and get a
65 terminal dump of the entire graph tree with lots of stuff and zero real
66 information about how to solve it. Look at my thread with Dale just the
67 other day, I managed to help him with the correct answer because I had a
68 magic brainwave to search for the "<" character.
69
70 Seriously, what kind of process would ever use that as a problem solving
71 approach?
72
73 In your case, the solution is in the ebuild for acpupsd and it's
74 specific DEPENDs. Now, I'm generally OK with looking in ebuilds for real
75 answers and have gotten used to it, but ffs I should not have to do
76 that. Well-written software should provide that information in it's
77 output, and it shouldn't be hard to get the software to do it.
78
79 Ok, rant over.
84 Alan McKinnon
85 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com