From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Where's my wireless AP?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:22:05
1 On 19 Apr 2010, at 23:03, Mick wrote:
2 >>> ...
3 >>> There might be an option to change the region of your wifi NIC.
4 >>> Channels 12 & 13 are legal in Europe, IIRC, but not in the USA.
5 >>>
6 >>> You should be able to change the channel of the AP - typically they
7 >>> have a drop-down which will choose either "auto" or a specific
8 >>> channel. Likewise I have seen some APs ask what region you're in
9 >>> when
10 >>> they're first setup.
11 >>
12 >> I've set it up for UK so it has 13 channels. On the other hand
13 >> your hint
14 >> pointed me to wpa_supplicant.conf on my laptop, in which I had the
15 >> country
16 >> parameter commented out. I set that up to UK, but it still seems
17 >> to show
18 >> 11 channels. :-(
19 >>
20 >> I'll reboot later to see if it makes any odds.
21 >
22 > No change :-(
23 >
24 > # iwlist wlan0 channel
25 > wlan0 11 channels in total; available frequencies :
26 > Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
27 > Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
28 > Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
29 > Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
30 > Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
31 > Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
32 > Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
33 > Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
34 > Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
35 > Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
36 > Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
37 > Current Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
38 >
39 > Short of hacking the firmware (which even if I knew how to, I am not
40 > allowed)
41 > or waiting for the linux driver to mature, I am not sure if there's
42 > anything I
43 > can do.
44
45 Can't you just change the channel the AP uses?
46
47 If you live somewhere with a high population density, then channel 13
48 may be a good one to use to avoid the interference of Sky1234,
49 BTHomeHub5678 and all the other "free" routers supplied by ISPs which
50 will tend to default to channels 1, 6 and 11.
51
52 However, if you live somewhere with fewer neighbours channel 13 may
53 not be necessary. Try a scan for nearby APs, note some sections of
54 frequency that are relatively unused [1], reset your router to use
55 that channel, reboot it and try it.
56
57 Stroller.
61 [1] Slightly difficult to encapsulate all the criteria for this in
62 just a few words, so try a few different channels and write back if
63 you need a longer explanation.