From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Where's my wireless AP?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:04:37
1 On Monday 19 April 2010 20:24:18 you wrote:
2 > On Monday 19 April 2010 18:26:14 Stroller wrote:
3 > > On 18 Apr 2010, at 23:35, Mick wrote:
4 > > > ...
5 > > > OK, I found what the problem was ... the AP is currently transmitting
6 > > > on channel 13, which it seems is outside the capabilities of the b43
7 > > > driver. I am blaming the driver here because the Windows 7 OS has no
8 > > > problem using channel 13, while iwlist wlan0 in Gentoo shows only up
9 > > > to channel 11. :-(
10 > >
11 > > There might be an option to change the region of your wifi NIC.
12 > > Channels 12 & 13 are legal in Europe, IIRC, but not in the USA.
13 > >
14 > > You should be able to change the channel of the AP - typically they
15 > > have a drop-down which will choose either "auto" or a specific
16 > > channel. Likewise I have seen some APs ask what region you're in when
17 > > they're first setup.
18 >
19 > I've set it up for UK so it has 13 channels. On the other hand your hint
20 > pointed me to wpa_supplicant.conf on my laptop, in which I had the country
21 > parameter commented out. I set that up to UK, but it still seems to show
22 > 11 channels. :-(
23 >
24 > I'll reboot later to see if it makes any odds.
25
26 No change :-(
27
28 # iwlist wlan0 channel
29 wlan0 11 channels in total; available frequencies :
30 Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
31 Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
32 Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
33 Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
34 Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
35 Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
36 Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
37 Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
38 Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
39 Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
40 Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
41 Current Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
42
43 Short of hacking the firmware (which even if I knew how to, I am not allowed)
44 or waiting for the linux driver to mature, I am not sure if there's anything I
45 can do.
46 --
47 Regards,
48 Mick