From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub: for the love of almighty Zardoz the magniicent....
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 08:46:12
1 On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 09:15:10 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 01:40:54 +0000 (UTC), Alan Grimes wrote:
3 > > I RMA'd my normal mobo as previously discussed.
4 > > I went to grab my previous motherboard and it turns out that it had
5 > > actually released a goodly chunk of it's Magic Smoke (tm) while I
6 > > hadn't been looking. So I went down to the Quickie Mart and grabbed a
7 > > motherboard that was still compatible with the rusty old 1800x... The
8 > > error was Unable to load "/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod"
9
10 Some short explanation of what Live image you're trying to boot with and at
11 least your partitioning scheme might help.
12
13 The GRUB error is indicative of GRUB not finding the partition in which the
14 normal.mod module is stored.
17 > > I had to buy some
18 > > more USB sticks (my optical drive seems functional but will not boot
19 > > the machine...)
20
21 Why not? There should be no difference between a LiveCD and a LiveUSB. If
22 anything booting off a USB on some MoBos could be more troublesome. Have you
23 looked into this problem to find out if there was some MoBo setting you had to
24 change (physical jumper/switch/cable, or firmware)?
27 > > and used gparted to get into the partition, .........
28 > > =((( All my .mod files were in x86_64-efi
29 > >
30 > > >>> AND IT WAS WORKING ON THE OTHER MOTHERBOARD!!! <<<
31 > >
32 > > =~((((((((
33 > > Dear beloved Zardoz, what have I done to deserve your wrath???
34 >
35 > Is the replacement motherboard UEFI and is t set that way in the firmware
36 > menus?
37 >
38 > I think Zardoz would ask why you are subjecting yourself to GRUB when you
39 > have much simpler options with UEFI hardware.
40
41 Assuming this is a UEFI MoBo you can boot any kernel images on disk directly,
42 as long as you can point the UEFI firmware to them.
43
44 Have a look here:
45
46 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/EFI_stub_kernel