From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub: for the love of almighty Zardoz the magniicent....
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 08:15:33
1 On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 01:40:54 +0000 (UTC), Alan Grimes wrote:
2
3 > I RMA'd my normal mobo as previously discussed.
4 > I went to grab my previous motherboard and it turns out that it had
5 > actually released a goodly chunk of it's Magic Smoke (tm) while I
6 > hadn't been looking.  So I went down to the Quickie Mart and grabbed a
7 > motherboard that was still compatible with the rusty old 1800x... The
8 > error was Unable to load "/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod" I had to buy some
9 > more USB sticks (my optical drive seems functional but will not boot
10 > the machine...) and used gparted to get into the partition, .........
11 > =((( All my .mod files were in x86_64-efi
12 > >>> AND IT WAS WORKING ON THE OTHER MOTHERBOARD!!! <<<
13 > =~((((((((
14 > Dear beloved Zardoz, what have I done to deserve your wrath???
15
16 Is the replacement motherboard UEFI and is t set that way in the firmware
17 menus?
18
19 I think Zardoz would ask why you are subjecting yourself to GRUB when you
20 have much simpler options with UEFI hardware.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 I backed up my hard drive and ran into a bus.