From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading (profiles, too)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 22:02:18
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 30 May 2019 02:18:01 BST Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I haven't tested the 17.1 profile yet. If you are unsure, I'd just use
5 >> 17.0 and wait until 17.1 is released.
6 >>
7 >> Dale
8 >>
9 >> :-) :-)
10 > The 17.1 profile does away with separate /lib directories as explained here:
11 >
12 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:AMD64/Multilib_layout
13 >
14 > <<<SNIP>>
15 >
16 > Switching the profile from 13.0 to 17.0 modifies the settings of
17 > GCC 6 to generate PIE executables by default; thus, you need to do
18 > the rebuilds even if you have already used GCC 6 beforehand.
19 > If you do not follow these steps you may get spurious build
20 > failures when the linker tries unsuccessfully to combine non-PIE
21 > and PIE code.
22 > =============
23 >
24 > HTH.
27 Given that is going to involve quite a bit of changes, and it appears
28 the OP has a outdated system, going in steps may be a good idea.  At
29 least that way if something breaks, it may be easier to fix since the
30 steps are smaller.
31
32 As usual tho, it depends.  It may be easy enough to go to 17.1 but then
33 again, it could create a mess.  I guess it is up to the OP which route
34 to go and how much compiling he wants to do.
35
36 If I recall correctly, I did a merge -e world when I switched to 17.0.
37 There are some things that I'd rather rebuild everything just to be
38 sure.  When it is winter time, why not, I need the heat anyway.  ;-)
39
40 Dale
41