From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading (profiles, too)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 14:20:21
1 On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 6:02 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Given that is going to involve quite a bit of changes, and it appears
4 > the OP has a outdated system, going in steps may be a good idea. At
5 > least that way if something breaks, it may be easier to fix since the
6 > steps are smaller.
9 ++
10
11 I would never attempt a profile change unless I had a system running
12 on a repo that was completely up to date, with no pending updates.
13 That is, if you run emerge --sync and emerge -uD world nothing happens
14 (well, aside from the random one package that just happened to
15 change).
16
17 If you try to do the migration on a tree that is many months old with
18 old system packages on it, there is no guarantee that all the critical
19 packages on your system support the new profile. We ensure all that
20 stuff gets fixed before we tell people to change profiles, but if
21 you're running a system that predates all the fixes then you're going
22 to run into all the old bugs that were already fixed.
23
24 The profile change isn't super-urgent. First get all the /etc/portage
25 cruft fixed, then get the system to cleanly update. Then sync to a
26 new repo and run updates again. Once you have a completely fresh
27 system the profile update should be fine, though this change is more
28 impactful than most.
29
30 The 17.0 update is much lower risk, and that is many months old, so
31 there is much less risk of running into issues. Even so I wouldn't do
32 it with pending updates on the system.
33
34 Really the guiding principle here is to not accumulate technical debt.
35 When you don't sync very regularly you're accumulating technical debt.
36 When you leave unmerged config files lying around you're accumulating
37 technical debt. When you don't update profiles, you get the
38 picture...
39
40 Any one of these issues on their own might not cause immediate
41 problems, but as you accumulate these issues you can find yourself
42 suddenly hitting a wall at full speed and just getting error after
43 error and having no idea which of your 47 accumulated issues is
44 causing which of the 150 lines of portage error output. Then you're
45 stuck just going through and trying to clean everything up with half
46 the system not working.
47
48 If you deal with issues as they come up so that at any time only one
49 thing at a time is changing, then you're less likely to get hit with
50 an update where the system wants to update 500 packages at one time
51 and it is impossible to deal with all the issues that come up as a
52 result. You can even run into upstream issues when you update
53 infrequently as they might not support doing 3 upgrades at one time
54 and nobody at Gentoo will have tested this...
57 Rich