From: Thomas Kear <thomas.kear@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] DVD drives
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:46:19
1 Well you're not going to get something that isn't dual layer any more, so
2 that's not a factor.
3
4 LG drives are good if you suspect you might ever use dvd-ram discs, since most
5 of their models have the capability.
6
7 NEC, Pioneer and I think ASUS all use the same hardware, they will only differ
8 in the firmware. The NEC ND-3550AG was a great burner, probably has been
9 replaced by a newer model now, but it cost around $35 (at newegg) last I saw.
10 My 2 year old NEC 3500 still does a fine job, firmware updates are readily
11 available (especially ones with improvements to booktype setting etc), and
12 there is even a native (i386) linux app to flash them with.
13
14 It would probably be a wise idea to steer clear of liteon drives. Their CD
15 writers were just about the gold standard, but the quality of their dvd
16 writers has slipped.