From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -e system - output info/errors to log
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:39:44
1 On 2010-04-18 1:56 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Understand what the gcc upgrade guide is:
3 >
4 > a quick simple guide for user who don't know tool chains inside out, that give
5 > the minimal sequence of commands that is GUARANTEED to NOT leave the user in
6 > the lurch. It's not the minimum possible sequence of commands to do the
7 > upgrade, because most users don't know how to tell the difference. Here's the
8 > logic:
9 >
10 > "If we imply that you should merge -e world with a gcc upgrade, my inbox will
11 > not fill with bugs from users who don't know the inner guts of the toolchain".
12 >
13 > The Guide is not the best possible guide that can be. It is the guide that
14 > causes the least support questions from users.
15
16 This is the second time that someone has said something like this with
17 respect to the official Gentoo Guides (the other was the kernel upgrade
18 guide, and its recommendation to use ''make menuconfig instead of 'make
19 oldconfig')...
20
21 It would be nice if there were a formal/official place to find 'Advanced
22 User Guides'... ;)
26 Charles