From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -e system - output info/errors to log
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:04:13
1 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2010-04-18 1:56 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Understand what the gcc upgrade guide is:
5 >>
6 >> a quick simple guide for user who don't know tool chains inside out, that give
7 >> the minimal sequence of commands that is GUARANTEED to NOT leave the user in
8 >> the lurch. It's not the minimum possible sequence of commands to do the
9 >> upgrade, because most users don't know how to tell the difference. Here's the
10 >> logic:
11 >>
12 >> "If we imply that you should merge -e world with a gcc upgrade, my inbox will
13 >> not fill with bugs from users who don't know the inner guts of the toolchain".
14 >>
15 >> The Guide is not the best possible guide that can be. It is the guide that
16 >> causes the least support questions from users.
17 >>
18 > This is the second time that someone has said something like this with
19 > respect to the official Gentoo Guides (the other was the kernel upgrade
20 > guide, and its recommendation to use ''make menuconfig instead of 'make
21 > oldconfig')...
22 >
23 > It would be nice if there were a formal/official place to find 'Advanced
24 > User Guides'... ;)
28 I think that is where this mailing list comes in. Here, you can say
29 what you have, what you want in the end then someone can tell you a way
30 to get there. Usually, you will get more than one way and have to pick
31 your poison. I agree with what Alan said tho. The guides have to be a
32 work every time for every one that reads it.
33
34 Dale
35