From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:13:54
1 On Saturday, August 29, 2015 2:19:23 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Fernando Rodriguez
3 > <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > It's probably easier to do this:
5 > >
6 > > # cd /usr/portage
7 > > # rm -r *
8 > > # git clone <repo-uri> .
9 >
10 > The only issue with this is that all the files end up being owned by
11 > root. I'd just create /usr/portage, chown portage:portage
12 > /usr/portage, and then let emerge --sync take care of the rest.
13
14 That is true, I didn't think of that. However, emerge --sync must run as root
15 because that's how I've done it for my local overlay and I just noticed that
16 even my /usr/portage (I'm still using rsync) is owned by root:root with the
17 exception of distfiles which is owned by root:portage. Probably because at one
18 point it got corrupted after syncing and I copied it from a network machine.
19 Fixing it now.
20
21 > To cut down on replies, I'm not sure what the emerge --sync behavior
22 > is if you have changes in the tree. I suspect that as long as they
23 > don't conflict they'll still sync, but in general you shouldn't leave
24 > uncommitted changes lying around /usr/portage. It is just convenient
25 > to be able to tweak packages, get them cleaned up, and then generate
26 > patches.
27
28 At least for overlays portage does a git pull. It may pull the changes from
29 the server but it will not even try to merge them (it can't since there's no
30 commit to merge) so it will tell you to either git checkout the file to discard
31 the changes or commit them. Even if you do commit them I believe it will ask
32 you for a merge commit message so it's not something that portage will do
33 automatically. Best to create a testing branch for your changes and checkout
34 the master branch before syncing again.
37 Fernando Rodriguez