From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 23:36:05
1 On 12/8/22 05:58, Dale wrote:
4 > I was thinking DAS was not a good option.  It seems like a feature
5 > removed and cheaper version of NAS.
6 >
7 > I think I've seen a couple Synology NAS boxes but I think even used they
8 > were a bit pricey.  Still, used could make that a option. Maybe.  It
9 > could fall into the category of pay a little more for a much better
10 > option, even if it is used.
11 >
12 > I've considered using older systems I have for NAS but they are large.
13 > Way to large.  It would require a lot of effort to shrink them down if
14 > it is even possible.  A NAS is smaller and designed for what I need as
15 > well.  This is what I found that goes with the Raspberry Pi.
16 >
17 > https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/dual-sata-hat-open-frame-for-raspberry-pi-4
18 >
19 > There is a two bay and a four bay version.  I think the case is the same
20 > for both so I may go with four for future expansion.  Price isn't bad
21 > for that part but as you say, Raspberry Pi board is a bit pricey.  Thing
22 > is, given the amount of control I'd have over it, it could be a better
23 > option long term.  I might add, I think this board is somewhat new.  I
24 > meant to include a link to it but forget.  It could be that you are not
25 > aware of that, or many other people either.  Also, I'd like to buy it
26 > from a more local vendor.  I've bought things from China through Ebay
27 > but it has a guarantee and refund option that is fairly good.  It's a
28 > option I've had to exercise a time or two.
29 >
30 > Part of me wants to buy a used but well featured NAS box.  Part of me
31 > thinks a Raspberry would be better and have upgrade options in the
32 > future as well.  I'm pretty sure I could have encryption on a Raspberry
33 > NAS as well.  I'm not sure if a prebuilt NAS box has encryption or not.
34 >
35 > Hope for some good ideas tho.  I'd like to avoid buying something that
36 > won't come close to serving even current needs or just plain doesn't work.
37 >
38 > Dale
39 >
40 > :-)  :-)
41
42 Dale,
43
44 DAS is direct attached storage. If your intention is to share the data
45 with multiple devices for backup you will need to keep in mind that you
46 will need a PC to share the data the DAS device is storing. In general,
47 most DAS require some sort of HBA (some of these HBAs can be hundreds to
48 thousands of dollars.) I've seen some eSata ones but they usually don't
49 have stellar reviews. It's also getting harder to find eSata devices.
50
51 In contrast NAS devices are designed to plug in to the network and be
52 shared with multiple devices on the LAN right from the get-go.
53
54 You are probably interested in a NAS, not a DAS.
55
56 I have an aging ix4-300d NAS. The display has started crashing now but
57 the device is still rock solid. However I'm in the same boat and have
58 been researching options - I think for my case I will get a small cube
59 case and mini-ITX board and roll my own Gentoo install. The cost may
60 even be slightly cheaper as 4 bay NAS here are quite expensive where I
61 am (with no drives installed) and building my own will be a bit cheaper
62 and I can choose what drives to run in it. Vulnerabilities on devices
63 like QNAP and Synology are very real and at least if you can roll your
64 own you can keep that to a minimum (like an example not running a web
65 browser to configure things.)
66
67 Dan