From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 00:34:12
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 12/8/22 05:58, Dale wrote:
5 >> I was thinking DAS was not a good option.  It seems like a feature
6 >> removed and cheaper version of NAS.
7 >>
8 >> I think I've seen a couple Synology NAS boxes but I think even used
9 >> they were a bit pricey.  Still, used could make that a option.
10 >> Maybe.  It could fall into the category of pay a little more for a
11 >> much better option, even if it is used.
12 >>
13 >> I've considered using older systems I have for NAS but they are
14 >> large.  Way to large.  It would require a lot of effort to shrink
15 >> them down if it is even possible.  A NAS is smaller and designed for
16 >> what I need as well.  This is what I found that goes with the
17 >> Raspberry Pi.
18 >>
19 >> https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/dual-sata-hat-open-frame-for-raspberry-pi-4
22 >> There is a two bay and a four bay version.  I think the case is the
23 >> same for both so I may go with four for future expansion.  Price
24 >> isn't bad for that part but as you say, Raspberry Pi board is a bit
25 >> pricey.  Thing is, given the amount of control I'd have over it, it
26 >> could be a better option long term.  I might add, I think this board
27 >> is somewhat new.  I meant to include a link to it but forget.  It
28 >> could be that you are not aware of that, or many other people
29 >> either.  Also, I'd like to buy it from a more local vendor.  I've
30 >> bought things from China through Ebay but it has a guarantee and
31 >> refund option that is fairly good.  It's a option I've had to
32 >> exercise a time or two.
33 >>
34 >> Part of me wants to buy a used but well featured NAS box.  Part of me
35 >> thinks a Raspberry would be better and have upgrade options in the
36 >> future as well.  I'm pretty sure I could have encryption on a
37 >> Raspberry NAS as well.  I'm not sure if a prebuilt NAS box has
38 >> encryption or not.
39 >>
40 >> Hope for some good ideas tho.  I'd like to avoid buying something
41 >> that won't come close to serving even current needs or just plain
42 >> doesn't work.
43 >>
44 >> Dale
45 >>
46 >> :-)  :-)
47 >
48 > Dale,
49 >
50 > DAS is direct attached storage. If your intention is to share the data
51 > with multiple devices for backup you will need to keep in mind that
52 > you will need a PC to share the data the DAS device is storing. In
53 > general, most DAS require some sort of HBA (some of these HBAs can be
54 > hundreds to thousands of dollars.) I've seen some eSata ones but they
55 > usually don't have stellar reviews. It's also getting harder to find
56 > eSata devices.
57 >
58 > In contrast NAS devices are designed to plug in to the network and be
59 > shared with multiple devices on the LAN right from the get-go.
60 >
61 > You are probably interested in a NAS, not a DAS.
62 >
63 > I have an aging ix4-300d NAS. The display has started crashing now but
64 > the device is still rock solid. However I'm in the same boat and have
65 > been researching options - I think for my case I will get a small cube
66 > case and mini-ITX board and roll my own Gentoo install. The cost may
67 > even be slightly cheaper as 4 bay NAS here are quite expensive where I
68 > am (with no drives installed) and building my own will be a bit
69 > cheaper and I can choose what drives to run in it. Vulnerabilities on
70 > devices like QNAP and Synology are very real and at least if you can
71 > roll your own you can keep that to a minimum (like an example not
72 > running a web browser to configure things.)
73 >
74 > Dan
78 I was thinking DAS wouldn't fit my needs.  Just wasn't real sure what
79 the difference was.  Someone always coming up with something that only
80 half works.  :/
81
82 Right now, I have a modem/router in one that the ISP provided.  I have a
83 separate router that I use since I can control access with it.  The ISP
84 modem/router can not be accessed by me.  Supposedly, it has some
85 protection but without access, who knows.  Either way, I'd connect a NAS
86 to my router that I control and if possible, forbid internet access.  If
87 possible, I may restrict it to ethernet access only, no wifi connection
88 either.  That should lock it down.  Also, I only update backups once a
89 week for maybe a hour or less.  The window for a hacker would be small
90 anyway.
91
92 I looked into buying/building a really small puter but with a lot of
93 drive bays.  Thing is, they have few SATA ports and not many ways to add
94 any plus they end up being to large.  I really don't like USB for my
95 data much.  I've had a lot of bad experiences with USB and hard drives.
96 Still, if this Raspberry thing uses it and others make it work fine, I'd
97 give it a shot.
98
99 Still reading posts and trying to sort things out.  Also, searching
100 around for NAS boxes just in case I run up on a steal of a deal.  :-D
101
102 Dale
103