From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:13:54
1 On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 00:29:04 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 25/06/2013 23:44, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 21:59:20 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> On 25/06/2013 21:10, Mick wrote:
5
6 > > I think it is used to RAID the SSD onto the hard drive, so that it can be
7 > > replicated onto a new SSD if/when the original goes bad.
8 >
9 > This is a laptop right?
10
11 No, I am hunting for a replacement desktop.
14 > > How do people mirror their SD onto the SATA, or what is the recommended
15 > > way to safeguard the SSD installed OS?
16 >
17 > You copy it. You do not raid it. With two disks, just rsync over
18 > whatever you need whenever you need to do it.
19
20 Do you automate this, or just do it after the system has been updated/changed?
24 > You will notice the grunt those i7s can deliver when you start to do
25 > this (sort of typical for mine...):
26 >
27 > 3 virtualbox vms running, 1 Windows for IE and Office
28 > 30 tabs open in firefox
29 > emerge world going on set to -j32 -l8
30 > 30-odd konsole tabs open, often more than half tailing a log file at
31 > more than 200 lines a minute
32 > the usual desktop apps (mail, skype, movie playing in one corner)
33
34 O_O
35
36 You are right, I will *never* notice the difference between the two CPUs ...
40 > I sort of just keep loading it up till I run out of things to leave
41 > open, and never notice the difference. This is an 8 core i7 with 16G RAM
42
43 I guess you mean 4 core + hyperthreading?
46 > and 128G SSD - complete total overkill for any rational usage, even a
47 > busy devops sysadmin - but we get good prices on the company corporate
48 > account
49 >
50 > It all comes down to what you really *need* as opposed to how much
51 > techie-bling you *want* :-)
52
53 I also need to find out what my other half needs and of course I can't ignore
54 what she wants, or I won't hear the end of it! :p
57 Regards,
58 Mick